For this new issue of “Letter from” column, we asked toonpool.com artist Rodrigo de Matos about his life and begged for some photographs of his working place and the city he lives in right now, Macau. Macau is a Special Administrative Region inside China and had been a Portuguese colony until 1999. It owns a famous inhabitant: toonpool.com-artist Rodrigo de Matos! Rodrigo could live anywhere else because he knows the secret of teleportation. You only need a bike and some… but you better find out from him:
Click on the images to enlarge
1. What was your dream last night?
I think I was being chased by a gang of gangster clowns. We exchanged some heavy pie shooting and… wait, no, that was before. Last night it was something about butterflies in the ice-cream. They were singing tarantellas to me… no, wait… break-dancing camels. I was in the desert when… hmmm… Sorry, I seldom remember my dreams… Think those I said were actual events…
2. Next plans or ideas?
There’s a plan going on for a book with all the cartoons I published in my first year of collaboration with Ponto Final, a newspaper from Macau, the place where I’m living since 2009. Maybe we can organize an exhibit for the launching of the book, probably by the end of this year.
3. Your food today?
For lunch I’ll probably invent something with rice, eggs… and whatever I have in the fridge (I love creative cooking). For dinner, I hope I can make the time to go to a restaurant called Nga Tim (the best in Coloane village) and have my favorite spicy clams cooked with black beans in Macanese style. Let’s see how that goes…
4. Do you like your place or would you like to live somewhere else?
Both. I like very much the life I have in Macau. But I’d also like to try some other places in the future. The thing is that working at home (God bless the Internet), in theory I may live wherever I want. I don’t know where I’m going next. Maybe, New Zealand…
5. What was the huge mistake in your life you (unfortunately) never did?
I didn’t join a football team when I was a kid. Or a political party when I was a teenager. Today I could be a very rich man…
6. Who are your neighbors?
They are mainly Chinese. Some are locals, some from Hong Kong, Guangzhou and other parts of China. But there are also some friendly people from Portugal, Australia, USA and others. I can’t name them all, cause my building is 47 floors high (I live in the 45th). Each floor has six flats. You do the math…
7. Tell me the shortest joke you know
Berlusconi. The guy is a joke. Not a very funny one, sometimes. But pretty short.
8. Tell me the biggest prank you did on a friend.
Once I told a friend that if he did ride his bicicle in circles around the city he could actualy be transported to another dimension after 50 laps (don’t ask me where I got that from). He believed. He was about to finish the last lap, when I called him and said that was a joke. He was furious cause he had to pedal back. That was fun.
9. How to ruin your vacation?
I don’t want to give you ideas, but… if I’m on the beach and you perform a “rain dance” you may actually ruin my vacation. But not that many people can do it. Please, Native Americans, stay away from the beaches I go to.
10. In 1977 NASA has sent orbiters Voyager 1 and 2 into space which will never stop to fly through the universe by gravity. They contain the Voyager Golden Records with many testimonials of whole mankind, greetings in 55 languages introduced by US president Jimmy Carter (“This is a present from a small, distant world, a token of our sounds, our science, our images, our music, our thoughts and our feelings….”). The Golden Records with a lifespan of 500 million years at least are including drawings of a naked man and woman, detaild genitalia, many scientific graphics, sounds of planet earth and music by Bach, Beethoven, Mozart – and Chuck Berry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3haYAbqKjA
Maybe aliens out there will be shocked in some million years! But in case such a NASA mission will be replayed: which (1) of your artworks should join it ?
This one (and I hope they have a good sense of humor): http://www.toonpool.com/cartoons/iPhone%204_87695
11. Please give us an answer to a question we didn’t ask!