For this new issue of Letter from… column, we asked toonpool.com artist Piero Tonin about his life and begged for some photographs of his working place and the city he lives in temporarily Valdagno, a small town by the Dolomites, about 80 kilometers east of Venice, looking for a nice and quiet time away from Milan. Even if Piero is a cartoonist that doesn’t smile a lot, he gave us almost 228792 smiles provided by his gallery of cartoons. Find out more about Piero from his letter!
1.Which movie/TV character you see yourself as and why?
I guess Buster Keaton. I don’t smile a lot myself, you know.
2. Next plans or ideas?
An animated short story about the meaning of life. I hope to release it before the end of the year
3. Your food today?
Risotto with a glass of prosecco.
4. Do you like your place or would you like to live somewhere else?
I currently live in Milan, but someday I’d like to move back to Sardinia, where I grew up.
5. What was the huge mistake in your life you (unfortunately) never did?
Getting a real job!
6. What are you able to do that Superman can’t do?
I can draw him, but he can’t draw me!
7. If I gave you a giraffe, where would you hide it?
In one of my cartoons, of course.
8. Tell me the biggest prank you did on a friend.
Sleeping with his girlfriend? Seriously, sometimes I enjoy drawing them in an unflattering way.
9. How to ruin your vacation?
Wake me up early and I’ll kill you.
10. In 1977 NASA has sent orbiters Voyager 1 and 2 into space which will never stop to fly through the universe by gravity. They contain the Voyager Golden Records with many testimonials of the whole mankind, greetings in 55 languages introduced by US president Jimmy Carter (“This is a present from a small, distant world, a token of our sounds, our science, our images, our music, our thoughts and our feelings….”). The Golden Records with a lifespan of 500 million years at least are including drawings of a naked man and woman, detailed genitalia, many scientific graphics, sounds of planet earth and music by Bach, Beethoven, Mozart – and Chuck Berry:
Maybe aliens out there will be shocked in some million years! But in case such a NASA mission will be replayed: which (1) of your artworks should join it?
Well, I did a bunch of cartoons about aliens, people from other worlds may enjoy them.
11. Please give us an answer to a question we didn’t ask!
Would you like to add something?
Sure! Thank you Toonpool and ciao from Italy to all my fellow cartoonists!